The Hispanic Studies Program offers semester-long courses taught both in Spanish and in English in areas such as art, business, economics, history, political science and many others. Spanish language courses are offered at six levels and include classes such as business Spanish, conversation, phonetics, reading & composition and translation. The program also offers courses in English in biology and chemistry (with a lab component) as well as in psychology and medical anthropology.
Spanish language classes have a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 16 students per class. All other classes have a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 24 students per class. Classes are held Monday through Thursday with an occasional activity on a Friday. Transcripts are issued by Pablo de Olavide University.
Students who score at the Advanced II level on their Spanish Placement Exam may enroll in up to two regular university courses. If the courses with the Spanish students are conducted in English, this language requirement is waived.
Students on this program typically take an intensive Spanish language course at their skill level and two to three elective/local topics courses taught in either English or Spanish. The program is arranged such that participants enjoy studying and hanging out at a medium-sized Spanish university and interacting with local students, while benefiting from a more quaint and personalized classroom setting in a program designed specifically for study abroad students.
- FALL 2017: September 18 – January 24
- SPRING 2018 : January 25 – June 7
- Fall 2017: June 5, 2017
- Spring 2018: October 20, 2017
Students will earn at least 12 credits and enroll in courses at the UPO Center for Hispanic Studies.
Courses are taught in Spanish and English. Advanced students also have the opportunity to enroll in university courses alongside Spanish students. An innovative curricular feature is the service-learning seminar and internship.
Courses offered through Centro de Estudios para Extranjeros Program at UPO
Students in good standing and G.P.A. of 2.90 on a 4.0 scale) is required to participate in this Program.
Students will earn at least 15 credits and official transcript from Pablo de Olavide University
Students with advanced Spanish skills may be awarded the Diploma of Hispanic Studies.
Price and What is included
Spring 2018: $10,900
The semester in Sevilla Program at the UPO includes:
- Official transcript from Pablo de Olavide University
- Airport Pick- up
- Orientation Session & Welcome Reception
- Up to 5 courses (a total of 15 U.S credits)
- 4 cultural/social activities during the semester
- A weekend excursion
- A student from Sevilla who will be your cultural ambassador
- Access to computer labs
- Access to the library and borrowing privileges
- Access to sports facilities (the gym requires an extra fee)
- Reduced price day trips to nearby places of interest (Córdoba, Ronda, etc.) Farewell Reception
- 24-hour support services
- Medical and accident insurance
- Full-time, English speaking staff
- Orientation and re-entry workshops
- Pre-departure advising
- Independent travel advice
Students will live with Spanish families in homestay arrangements which allow for a more complete immersion in Spanish language and local culture, as well as to better build cross-cultural dialogues. Students eat meals with local families, join them for activities and more fully experience life as Sevillanos.